This week, we dig deeper into our research about Ancient India. At the BBC Primary History Indus Valley website, you will select an area to explore, research your topic, take notes, analyze pictures, graphics, videos, and timelines, test your knowledge with quizzes, and share key concepts in our comment section of this blog post.
Here is your Primary History – Indus Valley Note-Taking Paper for the research project.
Have fun, sixth-grade scholars / historians!
This week, we begin our Unit of Study on Israel ~ Destruction and Reconstruction. This four-week unit will integrate our sixth-grade ELA common core standards and our sixth-grade History/Social Studies content standards. Here are our priority standards for this unit.
Reading Informational Text:
- Determine a central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text; summarize the text.
- Trace and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, distinguishing claims that are supported by reasons and evidence from claims that are not.
- Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence.
- Support claim(s) with clear reasons and relevant evidence, demonstrating an understanding of the topic or text.
- Use words, phrases, and clauses to clarify relationships among claims and reasons.
- With some guidance and support from peers and adults, develop and strengthen writing by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
Speaking and Listening:
- Delineate a speaker’s argument and specific claims, distinguishing claims that are supported by reasons and evidence from claims that are not.
- Analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the Ancient Hebrews.
Here are some files we will use in our study. Check back often, as I will continue to upload files as we proceed.
Online Interactive Study Materials:
Dig deep and enjoy the quest, scholars!
Look out for the Big Mac Attack in a fourth-grade classroom near you! The upcoming Great Brain Independent Research Project requires a five-paragraph essay about a selected topic of interest. So, our fourth-grade students are taking their delicious writing skills to the next level by organizing and composing a juicy hamburger essay! In this post, I will enumerate the components of a five-paragraph (aka “hamburger”) essay, provide examples of each yummy ingredient, and give you some tools to help you with your writing.
A five-paragraph essay includes an introductory paragraph which grabs the reader’s attention and states the thesis, three topic paragraphs that support the paper’s thesis, and a concluding paragraph that summarizes the paper’s main ideas. Here is a Hamburger Model for 5 paragraph essay:
- The top bun: introduction (the grabber/hook) and thesis
- The tomatoes: thesis support 1
- The lettuce: thesis support 2
- The meat: thesis support 3
- The bottom bun: conclusion
An example of a five paragraph essay is this very blog post (how very clever!). Look at my introductory paragraph. Do you see the grabber or hook? Right..Look out for the Big Mac Attack in a fourth-grade classroom near you! Now, do you see the thesis? …In this post, we will 1) enumerate the components of a five-paragraph (aka “hamburger”) essay, 2) provide examples of each yummy ingredient, and 3) give you some tools to help you with your writing. My thesis has 3 topics that I can address in the body of my essay. In my first thesis-supporting paragraph, I listed the components of a five-paragraph essay. In my second thesis-supporting paragraph (this one you’re reading now ), I give you examples of each component. In my third paragraph, I share some tools to help you write your hamburger essay. And lastly, my concluding paragraph summarizes the main ideas of this writing.
Now, here are three handy cooking utensils to help you in your writing kitchen: a hamburger graphic organizer, aHamburger Model for 5 paragraph essay, and the post “How to Write a Hamburger Essay ~ comparing paragraphs and essays to the beloved hamburger.” After a few rounds of practice with these tools, you will be able to cook up a scrumptious hamburger essay.
In this post, I shared the ingredients of a five-paragraph hamburger essay, I provided specific examples of each ingredient, and I offered a couple of tools to help cook up a delicious essay. Writing has never been so tasty. Bon appetit!
All aboard! Full steam ahead! Open House is comin’ round the mountain!!
This year, our Open House theme is 19th Century California History. Gold Rush Groups and Transcontinental Railroad Crews are right on track!
Check out this goldmine of materials for our preparation.
19th Century CA History Research Crews – Research Tasks, Performance Tasks, and Sources
CA History Research Crews – Reflection Paper
CA History Research Crews – Choice Card
Script Last Spike Ceremony
Start of CA Gold Rush (video)
Have fun while learning about the California Gold Rush with primary documents in this interactive GOLD RUSH GAME!