SING TO THE STARS
This week, we are reading “Sing to the Stars” in our Houghton Mifflin reading anthology. Here are some resources to increase your comprehension and enjoyment of this reading selection.
- Characters do things that real people and animals might do.
- Places in the story are real or seem real.
- The story tells about things that could really happen.
THINK ABOUT THE SELECTION
- Why do you think Ephram likes to practice on the roof?
- What does Mr. Washington mean when he tells Ephram, “Music speaks best when someone listens”?
- Why does Ephram want Mr. Washington to perform with him at the concert?
- Why do you think Mr. Washington finally decides to play the piano with Ephram?
- Ephram says that music speaks for him when he can’t talk about his feelings. How do you feel when you listen to music?
- Explain how music helps Ephram and Maria Isabel solve their problems.
Click on “Meet the Author and Illustrator” to learn about the woman who wrote and illustrated the story.
Click on Summary to read a summary of the story. You may also use this summary to practice your oral fluency skills.
Click on e-word game to increase your vocabulary skills.
Click on Flashcards to test your understanding of Sing to the Stars vocabulary with online flashcards.
Click on Quiz to take a quiz that prepares you for Friday, April 4th’s Comprehension Skills Test.
Click on Comparing Adjectives Quiz to improve your grammar skills.
Click on Spelling List for the week’s spelling words so that you can practice and perfect your spelling skills. This week’s spelling skill is VCCV words. You can have fun practicing your VCCV spelling skill with this Hangman game.
This upcoming week, we are reading The Last Dragon in our Houghton Mifflin reading anthology. Here are some resources to increase your comprehension and enjoyment of this reading selection.
Click on “Meet the Author” and “Meet the Illustrator” to learn about the author and illustrator.
Click on Summary to read a summary of the story.
Click one-Word Game to practice the vocabulary words.
Click on Word Scramble to download, print, and complete the word scramble (for funny money).
Click on Flashcards to test your understanding of The Last Dragon vocabulary with online flashcards.
Click on Hangman to play the game with The Last Dragon vocabulary words.
Click on Quiz to take a quiz that prepares you for Friday’s Vocabulary Test.
Click on Test to take our Vocabulary Test.
Click here for our Reading Comprehension / Literary Analysis and Response Test.