This week, we are reading Happy Birthday, Dr. King! in our Houghton Mifflin reading anthology. We will use this POWERPOINT to guide our introduction of the story. In addition, here are some resources to increase your comprehension and enjoyment of this reading selection.
BUILD YOUR SKILLS:
Comprehension and Analysis Skills:
- Learn about the Author and Illustrator.
- Practice this week’s comprehension skill: Cause and Effect.
- Read the lyrics and listen to the music of a civil rights movement Rap.
- Watch the famous “I Have a Dream” speech.
- Test your comprehension of the story with this Quiz.
- Download this PowerPoint to help you learn this week’s vocabulary.
- Play our e-Word Game to practice the vocabulary words.
- Download this week’s Spelling List.
- Practice our spelling/word-analysis skills with Prefix Games and Suffix Games.
- Review this week’s skill with the Subject Pronoun Practice.
ANALYZE AND RESPOND IN A BLOG COMMENT:
- Why is Jamal’s grandfather so unhappy that Jamal fought to sit at the back of the bus?
- What does Jamal learn from talking with his grandfather? How is he different after the talk?
- Jamal says that he did something “really stupid that turned out to be stupendous instead.” What do you think he means?
- What would you like to do for a school celebration of Dr. King’s birthday?
- Who do you think are the heroes in this story? What makes them heroic?
Click on Good Books for Kids List to find 6 recommended books on Martin Luther King, Jr.
TAKE THE AR TEST (by Friday):
Happy Birthday, Dr. King! (HM Edition)
AR Quiz No. 902063 EN Fiction
BL: 3.3 – AR Pts: N/A